Tuesday, April 8, 2014

DIY: Glittery Heart Shaped Sunnies



Hey! This is my first ever DIY blog post and i'm so excited to share it (YAY!) I hope you'll like it cause there's more to come haha



So a few months ago I bought a pair of these heart shaped sunnies because I was feeling inspired by the book Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, though I only read about half of it before I had to put it down because it got too sexual and weird for my taste. However, I did get far enough in the book to find that Lolita was such a glam little nymphet and I loved her style especially the sunnies she wore 

Back to the sunnies! When it (finally, finally) arrived on my doorstep, it wasn't as cute or as eye catching as I hoped it would be. Bummer. Then I decided to take matters into my own hands, and that is the story of how this post came to be.

note: this DIY would be best done while sucking on a lollipop and putting curlers in your hair for that extra Lolita feel.

These are the materials I used. I know it says clear nail polish, but I actually used glittery nail polish because that's what I had on hand, and you can use either of the two.



And then the next thing I did was tape off the lens of the sunnies, so that that area will be free from glitterification. 
Make sure the masking tape goes a bit far beyond the frames. Then I caaaaarefully cut along the dotted lines with an exacto knife.




After that, I peeled off the outer part.... and voila! It's now ready for the glitterification process. 



This next step was my favorite. In the container, I dumped about half a teaspoon (of course I didn't measure it)of nail polish and then a rather large amount of glitter onto it, and mixed it all up. And lastly, I painted two coats of it on the frames of the sunnies! Easy peasy. It came out really pretty, and I was very tempted to paint it on just about everything in my reach. 




Finally, I just left it to dry and then peeled the masking tape off. The glitter didn't come off, but feel free to top it with another coat of clear polish for extra gloss and protection. 




And that is all, folks! I thought the shades would look super cute with these socks

Stay tuned for more DIYs to come, and don't forget to follow me on my other social networks 

Much love,

Frances

No comments :

Post a Comment